It is reported that normal, healthy hair grows at an average of 0.5 inches per month or around 6 inches per year.
Hair Growth rate varies from one person to another and is dependant on a number of factors. These include diet, general wellness and genes.
There has been recent studies to see if hair growth rate varies between ethnicities and the results are as follows:
Asian Men and Women: Average healthy hair growth rate per year = ~ 6 inches
Caucasian Men and Women: Average healthy hair growth rate per year = ~ 5 inches
African Men and Women: Average healthy hair growth rate per year = ~ 4 inches
This may have something to do with the shape of the hair fibres in each race.
If you are trying to get your hair to grow, look at our 5 tips for longer, stronger hair.
1. Retention: Are you caring for your hair so that it can grow longer? This means feeding it good proteins and fats inside and out to keep it strong. Eggs, and pulses are great sources of protein. You can make a great protein hair mask with eggs and olive oil. Not cutting it so often. Reducing heat styling and harsh chemical treatments/dyes. If you can get a hairdresser to dye your hair rather than use a box dye because when we do it ourselves, we tend to get dye on our scalp which can be very irritating.
2. Genes: Are there other members of your family that suffer from weak hair or slow growing hair? You could have a genetic disposition to a hair growth problem like androgenetic alopecia. Otherwise known as pattern baldness, this condition presents itself as thinning hair usually at the front, sides and/ or the crown areas. This is thought to be caused by a sensitivity to DHT (dihydrotestosterone).
3. Environment: Toxins and harsh weather can affect hair quality and growth. It is a good idea to try and protect your hair from these damaging factors by wearing hair up in a hat or using protection sprays with UV defense.
4. Scalp condition: If you want to grow hair, you need to ensure it has a great environment to grow in. It is probably one of the most important factors for healthy hair growth. Use a caring, cleansing shampoo like one with tea tree and aloe in. Massage the scalp regularly to keep good blood flow to the skin and follicles
It has been reported that the Inversion method can help grow hair at a faster rate than normal. Take a look at our step by step guide to the Inversion Method scalp massage HERE
5. Nutrients: Ensure you have a healthy, balanced diet and drink plenty of water through the day. Dehydration plays a big part in hair loss. Our supplements provide a range of vitamins and minerals that have been reported to protect follicles against DHT (dihydrotestosterone), stimulate growth of hair, protect against hair fall, help maintain scalp health and balance hormones. VISIT SHOP.